Once you have completed your National Certificate Vocational at level 4 (NCV4), there are 2 qualifications you can apply for at a TVET college if you meet the following minimum admission (entry) requirements:
Higher Certificate (NQF level 5)
To apply to study for a Higher Certificate (NQF level 5) you will need;
- 40-50% in either home language or first additional language. One of these languages should be the language used by the college or university e.g. you need English to attend the University of Johannesburg
- 30-40 % in either mathematics or math literacy - depending on your course you might need Math, not Math Literacy
- 40-50% in Life Orientation
- 50-60% in four other subjects
- Submit a record of evidence for subjects failed
National Diploma (NQF level 6)
The minimum entry requirements to apply to study for a National Diploma (NQF level 6) are;
- 50-60% in 3 fundamental subjects
- 60-70% in 3 compulsory vocational subjects
What are fundamental subjects?
- An official language usually a common Business Language such as English or Afrikaans
- Life Orientation
- Maths or Maths Literacy
What are compulsory vocational subjects?
- You will need to take an additional 4 compulsory vocational subjects that relate to your field of study
The minimum admission requirements are the lowest marks you must get to be provisionally considered for a certificate or diploma qualification at a TVET college. You may need higher marks to enter certain programmes or courses. Every programme and institution are different, so it is important to that you find out what the admission (entry) requirements are to apply at every college.
If you cannot enter the qualification you want to enrol for (e.g. a Bachelor Degree), you could enter a qualification on a lower level (e.g. a Diploma or Higher Certificate) and use it as a stepping stone to pursue the higher qualification thereafter.The higher your marks, the greater your chances of being accepted into the tertiary institute of your choice and your chances of getting bursary or scholarship increases.