A Higher Certificate is an undergraduate certificate offered by universities and colleges. It is one level higher than the Matric certificate on the National Qualifications Framework at NQF Level 5. The certificate prepares you for a specific job or occupational field. You will gain practical skills, knowledge, and insights to prepare you for the workplace.
What can you study?
It depends on the college or university and what they offer. Higher certificates are offered in a wide variety of fields such as:
- Accounting and Finance,
- Economics and Management Sciences,
- Life and Environmental Science,
Once you have completed your Higher Certificate you can work or apply to continue studying for a National Diploma or Bachelor's Degree, depending on your results.
A Higher Certificate is completed in 1 year.
What are the admission (entry) requirements?
If you have a Matric (National Senior Certificate) you will need:
- 30% or more in your home language or first additional language. One of these languages should be the language used to teach at the college or university
- And meet the programme and faculty requirements
If you have a National Certificate: Vocational Level 4 (NCV4), you will need:
- 40-50% in your home language or first additional language. One of these languages should be the language used to teach at the college or university
- 30-40 % in either mathematics or math literacy - depending on your course you might need Math, not Math Literacy
- 40-50% in Life Orientation
- 50-60% in four other subjects
- Submit a record of evidence for subjects failed
Where can you complete a higher certificate?
You can study at a TVET college or a University