Learn. Train. Work. Get qualified!

What is a learnership?

Learnerships are work experience opportunities that provide you with an accredited qualification and certificate once you have completed it. You will spend about 30% of your time attending classes at a college or training centre to learn the theory. The other 70% of your time, you will spend on the job gaining practical work experience that relates to your studies. Employers and training institutes will nationally accept the qualification you get.

How long does it take?

Usually only 12-18 months. The employer decides the duration of the learnership. If you accept the learnership offer, you will need to sign two legal documents: a Learnership Agreement and an Employment Contract.

Will you get paid?

Yes, you will be paid a stipend to help cover your costs such as transport, meals and sometimes accommodation. The company or employer that provides you with the learnership will pay for your studies.

How do you find a learnership opportunity?

Companies or employers advertise learnerships. Starting a learnership is not that easy. First, you must apply to the employer (company), and they must offer you the opportunity. Almost every sector in the economy offers learnership programmes. The relevant sector SETA must formally register Learnerships. You can contact the relevant industry SETA to find out which employers offer learnerships.

What are the entry requirements?

  • It depends on what type of learnership you are applying for and what the sector requirements are.
  • Most learnerships and skills programmes provide you with a qualification that’s below the Matric (NQF 4) level. Therefore, you do not always need a Matric. Some learnerships might require a Matric or specific subjects like maths or computer literacy.
  • You have to be between the ages of 16 and 35 to apply for a learnership.
  • Some learnerships require you to do an assessment test to be accepted.

How do you apply?

  • You have to apply directly to the employer offering the learnership. Make sure your CV and contact details are up to date.
  • You can register at your nearest community labour centre as a job-seeker. Your details will be put into a database for potential companies. But it is better to be more proactive and keep a look out for learnership opportunities online and in newspapers.

What are the benefits of doing a learnership?

  • It is an opportunity to work while you study. You get a qualification and work experience at the same time.
  • You will receive a minimum of 120 credits on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) once you have completed the learnership and a nationally recognised certificate.
  • However, learnerships don’t carry as many credits as a Matric, or the National Vocational Certificate (NCV) or a National Diploma. This can make it difficult to progress to a higher (NQF) level or move from one learnership to another.

Find some useful websites to help you find a learnerships here.