Your LAF (Loan Agreement Form) or SOP (Schedule of Particulars) is the binding contract you sign with NSFAS that guarantees you will get the money for your studies and that you will pay NSFAS back at the end of your studies.
A SOP is signed in the case of bursaries and TVET students. An LAF is signed for university loans.
You should receive your LAF or SOP within 4 weeks after your NSFAS application is approved. Some students have waited for 6 months to receive theirs and some 2017 students are still waiting to receive theirs. Remember the systems serves many students and delays can be expected. However funding your studies is your responsibility and we suggest that you call NSFAS if you do not receive yours within 4 weeks.
How to sign your SOP and LAF:
You can sign you SOP or LAF online or at your university or college.
To sign your LAF or SOP online follow these steps:
- Go to http://www.nsfas.org.za/content/Portal/index.html to sign your LAF or SOP online
- Enter your ID Number and click on the search button
- Once you have clicked on the search button, you will receive your One Time Pin (OTP) either as an email or SMS.
- Enter the OTP* sent to you from NSFAS * If you have not received an OTP click the resend OTP button
- Click on the login button
- Read the LAF or SOP by clicking on the folder icon
- Enter your cell phone number and email address
- Agree to the funder terms and conditions by clicking on the checkbox
- Click on the submit button
Note: A One Time Pin (OTP) is a Personal Identification Number (PIN) that NSFAS will send only once to your cell phone number to confirm that you are the person logging in to accept the LAF or SOP. You cannot use someone else's OTP.
By applying to NSFAS you agree to their terms. If your application for financial aid is approved, the loan or bursary agreement must be signed within 30 days after registration or NSFAS reserves the right to withdraw the approved loan or bursary. You will then be liable for all fees at the university/college.
All information sourced from NSFAS website.