If your matric results were not what you wanted, you can still meet the pass requirements by writing a supplementary examination. Supplementary examinations take place in February each year and registration closes this Friday! (19th January)

You have to register at the Provincial Department of Basic Education for each subject you want to re-write.You can find out from your school where your nearest (DBE) office is or click here to find different provincial offices where you can register near you.

Department of Basic Education Provincial Offices

You can apply to rewrite if:

  • You failed a maximum of 2 subjects

  • You missed your exam or did not finish because you were sick (medical reason) - and you have a medical certificate or doctor’s note

  • You had a serious personal issue, like the death of a family member – and you have a copy of the death certificate

  • You narrowly missed out on a university or college programme because you did not meet the admission requirements by one subject’s results.

To apply, you will need the following:

From your school:

  • An advisory slip when you receive your matric results that tell you if you qualify to rewrite or not. Not everyone who applies can write, so check with your school if you do qualify

  • Your SBA (School Based Assessment) or CASS (Continuous assessment) certificate showing that the results are valid for 3 to 5 years minimum

  • Your matric results confirming the results of the subject/s you wish to re-write.

What you have to provide:

  • A letter explaining why you want to write a supplementary exam/s

  • Your exam number

  • Your identity document or birth certificate

  • A completed and signed Supplementary Exam Registration form (which you receive at the Department of Education offices).

You have to apply in January to write the supplementary exam between February and March. You can expect your results by end of April or the beginning of May

The closing date for applications to the supplementary examination is 19 January 2018.

Examination Fee: Check with your school, some schools pay no fees.