There are up to six different National Accredited Technical Education Diplomas (NATED) offered at TVET colleges in South Africa. A NATED qualification is nationally recognised by employers and higher education institutions and offers practical skills and theory needed to go into the job market as a skilled worker.

For example, completing a NATED programme in Beauty Therapy at Damelin means you will gain the technical theory of the course, as well as do the practical skills required as a beauty therapist. This will make you a qualified skilled worker who can work at nail bars such as Sorbet or Soho.

Each N- Level takes 3 to 18 months, depending on the programme. To get the National Diploma, you will have to complete 18 to 24 months required work experience, and/or coursework.

The NATED programmes are split into 2 levels

The N1 to N3 programmes are very limited and mostly focus on careers such as:

  • Engineering

  • Manufacturing

  • Construction,

  • And other artisan courses

The N4 to N6 programmes offer a wider range of programmes that include:

  • Art and Design

  • Business Management

  • Clothing Production

  • Hospitality and Catering Services

  • Human Resource Management

  • Interior Decorating

  • Legal Secretary

  • Management Assistant

  • Marketing Management

  • Medical Secretary

What qualification will you gain?

  • If you complete your N3 plus 2 languages, you will have the equivalent to a Matric certificate at NQF Level 4

  • If you complete your N5, you will have a National N Certificate, without the 18 months work experience in the workplace

  • If you complete your N6 plus 18 months work experience, you will have a National Diploma

What are the admission requirements?

  • You need a Grade 9 to enter at N1 depending on the college, some programmes also require specific subjects

  • You need a Grade 12 to enter at N4.

Once you have completed your course, you will be able to apply for work or go on to study further at a higher education institution. With a National Diploma, you can also enrol to complete a Bachelor’s Degree at any university, depending on your marks.